Skip to main content
logo print

We accept complaints as an important part of student feedback and use the feedback to improve our service to students.

A complaints process has been created to assist you to make a complaint to the Institute and to ensure that a complaint is handled in a fair and courteous manner and within established time frames.

The process ensures that a complaint is treated as confidential and that you are kept informed about how the investigation of your complaint is progressing.

No complainant shall be victimised or discriminated against as a result of a complaint being lodged.

Who should a complaint be made to?

 A complaint should, in the first instance, be made to the Head of Department/Senior Educator/Education Manager responsible for that teaching area or the Head of Administrative Department that the complaint relates to.  If you are not sure who is responsible for the matter you wish to complain about, or if you do not feel comfortable or consider it appropriate to contact the responsible Head of Department, please contact the Institute’s Complaints and Appeals Coordinator, by email or phone on 9564 2046.

Response to a complaint

 If your complaint is unable to be resolved informally you can submit a formal complaint by completing a Complaint Form.  Download the complaint submission form (PDF 118kb) Within five business days of a complaint being received, the Complaints and Appeals Coordinator will send you a written acknowledgement.

The responsible Manager will commence an investigation of the complaint.  The responsible Manager may need to contact you to seek further information about the complaint.  The Manager will finalise their investigation, within 10 business days after commencing it. If the investigation requires more time to be completed, the Manager will contact you, to advise you.

How to make a complaint

 Complaints can be made:
  • Via email:
  • Via phone: to the Complaints and Appeals Coordinator on 9564 2046
  • In writing: complaints and appeals Coordinator, PO Box 42, HOLMESGLEN, VIC, 3148
 You may like to refer to:


What to include in your complaint 

Your complaint should be clear and to the point.  Summarise in a couple of sentences precisely what your complaint is about.  Do not give excessive detail and set out in a logical order.  Your complaint should include:
  • The date
  • Your name, Student ID, address and day-time telephone number
  • A description of the incident or problem
  • Relevant dates, places and times
  • Relevant details of any telephone conversations and meetings
  • Any explanations you think are important
  • Copies of relevant documents
  • The result you are seeking – explain what action you think should be taken to resolve your complaint.

Findings of investigation and request for review

The responsible manager will inform you of the outcome of their investigation of the complaint in writing.  Should there be a reason for the findings not being released, you will be advised of the decision and the basis on which that decision was made.


 If you wish to appeal the findings of your formal complaint you can submit an appeal by completing an Appeal Form.  Download the appeal application form (PDF 79kb) 
Within five business days of an Appeal Form being received, the Complaints and Appeals Coordinator will send you a written acknowledgment. 

The Chief Executive or Executive Director, will finalise their review of the original decision findings of the investigation within 20 days of receiving the request for the review. They will inform you of the outcome in writing.

Review by the Ombudsman

 If you consider that we have not resolved your complaint, you may contact Ombudsman Victoria via email or by phone 9613 6222

Complaints regarding breach of privacy

The Institute's Privacy Policy details how we handle your personal and health information and how you can access and correct it.

If you are concerned that we may have breached our privacy obligations or our policy, first contact the area that you initially provided your personal information to. If you are not satisfied with the response, email giving as much detail as possible in relation to your concern. If you are not satisfied with how we handle your privacy complaint, you can refer it to the Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner or the Health Complaints Commissioner (for health information).

All information is correct at the time of printing but subject to change.

Copyright © 2020 Holmesglen CRICOS Provider Code: 00012G RTO-0416 ABN: 40 096 756 729