The Victorian Government's Free TAFE for priority courses is an opportunity for eligible students to study with greater convenience and peace-of-mind. If eligible, you will not pay course tuition fees for a free government course.
Free TAFE is designed to reduce the financial barrier for students wanting to train in courses that have a clear pathway to in-demand occupations in the Victorian economy.
We offer Free TAFE courses across nine study areas at Holmesglen - at a pre-apprenticeship, certificate, diploma or advanced diploma qualification level. These include non-apprenticeship courses and courses that provide pathways to apprenticeships (also called pre-apprenticeships).
Free TAFE courses eligibility
If you’re an Australian citizen or permanent resident; or a New Zealand citizen, you may be eligible to study a Free TAFE course in Victoria. You can access a Free TAFE course, if you are:
Under 20 or upskilling
- Aged under 20 (regardless of any other qualifications they might hold); or
- 20 years of age or older and enrolling in a course that is a higher qualification than the highest qualification you’ve previously attained
- Physically present in the State of Victoria at all times at which you are undertaking the training and assessment.
A Victorian who needs additional support
- Unemployed and clients of the Jobs Victoria Employment Network
- Retrenched workers
- Automotive supply chain workers
Looking to change careers
Victorians who want to reskill, change careers, improve their employment prospects and/or meet the needs of local industries*.
*Subject to availability of TAFE places, and prioritised based on need.
You can access this free training initiative only once – even if you do not finish your chosen Free TAFE priority course. So, it is important that you consider your free training choice carefully.
JobTrainer is a partnership between the Victorian Government and the Federal Government to jointly invest in free or low-fee training places for young people and job seekers.
JobTrainer courses eligibility
To be eligible for JobTrainer, you must be:
- aged 17-24 at the time you start your course, or
- be a job seeker of any age
In addition, you must:
You must also be able to demonstrate you are a job seeker by showing a current, valid and specific concession card, or employer letter, or signing a declaration.
- not have previously commenced a full qualification (e.g. certificate or diploma) under JobTrainer
- must meet normal eligibility for Government-subsidised training but with two exceptions:
- You don't need to be enrolling in a course that is higher than the Australian qualification you currently hold.
- You are not restricted to the usual limit on commencing more than two courses at the same level in your lifetime.