Holmesglen is committed to eliminating sexual harassment and assault, and has a zero tolerance of these behaviours. As a community, Holmesglen is dedicated to promoting a culture of respect, safety and equality. Sexual assault and harassment are criminal offences and can happen to people of all ages, genders and cultural backgrounds.
Sexual harassment is defined as an unwelcome sexual advance or any other unwelcome behaviour of a sexual nature which makes a person feel unsafe, intimidated and/or humiliated. Sexual assault is any sexual behaviour or conduct that occurs without the consent of the recipient.
Examples of a sexual offence include:
- inappropriate comments, questions and jokes
- unwanted touching, kissing, fondling
- repeated unwanted requests for dates
- showing or making pornographic material without consent
- leering or staring
- peeping (observing people who are undressing, naked or engaging in sexual acts without consent)
- public nudity or indecency
If you are feeling harassed, head to the Student Wellbeing office on your campus and ask to see a student counsellor. You can call them on 9564 1649 and let the receptionist know if you feel the situation is urgent (but not an emergency - if you feel you are in possible danger, please call Security, or in immediate danger, please dial 000 and ask Police).
If English is not your first language, you can ask for resources on reporting a sexual offence to police, written in other languages.