Skip to main content
logo print

What is credit?

Credit is the term covering Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer (CT) and Exemption in degree courses. 

What is the difference between RPL,  CT and Exemption? 

  • You may apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) if you can demonstrate that your work and life experiences match one or more of the units in which you have enrolled. You must be able to demonstrate that you have achieved the skills and knowledge equivalent to the learning outcomes of the unit/s. Evidence that demonstrates this achievement may be through a portfolio of evidence. 
  • You may apply for Credit transfer (CT) if you have successfully completed the unit/s previously or successfully completed a separate unit with equivalent  curriculum content, learning outcomes and assessments, or if you have successfully completed a combination of units that collectively cover the content and learning outcomes of the unit/s for which you are seeking credit.
  • An Exemption may be appropriate if you are enrolling in a Higher Education qualification and you have done study or have work/life experience that meets the learning outcomes of the subject/s. 

How do I know if I should apply for credit?

You need to have a good idea about what your program contains, that is, the details of the units that make up the qualification. Read any information you are given about applying for credit carefully and have a think about what evidence you have. This evidence will be used to assess the skills and knowledge covered in the units/subjects.

What are the benefits of applying for credit?

  • If you are successful in your credit application, you can save yourself time because you do not have to complete all units/subjects in the qualification.
  • Credit can save you money that you may have needed to spend on books and materials for your course.
  • By completing a qualification faster, you can move more quickly to a higher-level qualification.

What happens at the interview/conversation?

You will be asked to bring any evidence you have to the meeting. Be prepared to talk about your experiences that are relevant to the units/subjects for which you have applied for credit. The Assessor will be looking at your evidence and listening to your work and life experiences and details of previous studies to work out if you have enough evidence to be granted credit for units/subjects in your course.

How much do CT, RPL and Exemption cost?

  • CT and Exemption do not cost any money
  • RPL costs the same as the course enrolment but it saves you money on course resources and materials. RPL also saves you time, because if your RPL application is granted, you do not have to attend the rest of the classes for those subject/s.

Note: There are no refunds given on fees for RPL units if your application is granted.  

How does credit appear on my transcript?

Your Academic Transcript and Statement of Results record the results of any successful credit applications with a special code - EX - Exemption granted on the basis of Credit Transfer (advanced standing) or Recognition of Prior Learning.

If your credit application is not successful, your result will appear as N, unless you have continued to attend classes and successfully complete the required assessments.

Note: EX, CT and RPL are  equivalent to a Pass. Credit applications are not graded.  In Higher Education courses, Exemptions are not included in your Grade Point Average (GPA).

What kind of work and life experiences count towards RPL or Exemption?

You may have relevant work experience you have gained in your job and you may belong to a sporting or community group and have done work for them. If you do any relevant volunteer work in the community, this may count towards your application. Previous study may also contribute to your application. The credit application process is an assessment of the skills and knowledge you have gained by matching these to part or the whole qualification so that you may not have to do all the training. It is important that any work and life experience you have is relevant to the subjects for which you are applying for credit.

What sort of things can I use as evidence?

Evidence can be provided in many different ways. Some examples of things you can use are:

  • Position description
  • Workplace reference
  • Examples of work you have produced
  • Training and/or qualification certificates
  • Minutes of meetings you have organised, run or attended
  • Awards, certificates of merit
  • Job diary or journal

How much credit can I apply for?

It is possible to apply for credit for units that make up a maximum of 75 per cent of the entire qualification for study completed at another education provider. You must undertake study and assessment in the remaining units that make up the other 25 per cent of the qualification as a Holmesglen student. Note that when seeking credit for study completed at another education provider, you will need to provide the necessary evidence to prove you have the skills and knowledge for the relevant unit/s or subject/s.

Why are there timelines for credit applications?

It will take you some time to collect your evidence, and then it will take the Assessor time to go through your evidence and assess it against the assessment criteria for the unit/s or subject/s.  We allow you two weeks to collect your evidence and we allow the Assessor two weeks to assess your evidence after you have submitted it. Your result/s then need to be recorded in the Student Management System. This process needs to be completed within the first four weeks of class.  If the timelines are missed by you or the Assessor, your application will not be processed until the following semester.

Why do I have to attend classes if I have submitted an RPL application?

You need to attend classes until you are notified of the decision on your application. This takes at least four weeks from the start of classes, and sometimes longer depending on the number of units for which you are applying for RPL. If your application is not successful, you can continue attending classes and do the usual assessments at no extra cost. If you have not attended classes while your application is being assessed and you are unsuccessful, you will need to enrol in the units in the next semester and pay fees again.

What can I do if I am not happy about my credit decision?

You can appeal against a decision by making an appointment to see the Head of your teaching department to discuss the decision. The Head of the Department may refer your appeal to the Dean of the Faculty. The Dean's decision is final.

All information is correct at the time of printing but subject to change.

Copyright © 2020 Holmesglen CRICOS Provider Code: 00012G RTO-0416 ABN: 40 096 756 729