Skip to main content
logo print

Student rights and obligations

At Holmesglen, we strive to be student focused and ensure the student experience is central to all our processes and systems. We're also committed to providing a safe working environment that provides a happy, healthy and safe environment in which to learn.

As a student at Holmesglen, you're part of our community and have certain rights and obligations including:

  • your right to quality education and training
  • your right to be informed about personal information that is collected about you
  • the right to review and amend this information to ensure its accuracy.

Your teachers will talk to you about your rights and obligations at your induction sessions and in various other course specific forums.

This includes your safety obligations in accordance with the Occupation Health and Safety Act. 
Below are a set of links to important information that will assist you with your understanding of your rights and obligations.

1. Important information that you need to be aware of includes the following information:

2. As a Holmesglen student you may be eligible to receive assistance with paying your tuition fees for a course with a Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) provided by the Commonwealth Government for both Higher Education (HE) courses and Vocational Education and Training (VET) approved courses.

Read more about how you can access help with fees.

Information on Tuition Fees can be found on the course pages on this website.  This information is indicative only, as everyone's circumstances are different.

You should be aware that:

  • as an eligible student you may be able to request a HELP Loan for courses at Diploma level and above only. This loan is to assist you with the cost of your tuition fees. HELP Loans include:
    • VET Student Loans
    • FEE HELP
    • SA HELP
  • HELP Loans are an income contingent loan from the Commonwealth Government, available to eligible students and, when granted, remain your personal debt obligation until it is repaid to the Commonwealth Government.
  • Accessing HELP Loans may affect your future take-home (after tax) wage or salary (by reducing the wage or salary to pay off the loan), and may affect your borrowing capacity until the debt is repaid.
  • You may wish to seek independent financial advice prior to applying for a HELP Loan.
  • To access a HELP Loan to assist you to pay your tuition fees, you will need meet the eligibility requirements, accept your enrolment offer, indicate your wish to access a HELP Loan and apply for a HELP Loan prior to census dates.

Refer to the Government's StudyAssist website for more information.

  • You are required to complete the Request for Commonwealth Assistance Form provided to you or you will be directed to complete the online Request for Commonwealth Assistance Form. 
  • If you are enrolling in Vocational Education and Training Approved Courses at the Diploma, Advanced Diploma Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma levels, you may be eligible to access a VET Student Loan. In such instances, Holmesglen will provide your enrolment information to the Commonwealth Government. You will then receive information from the Government allowing you to complete and submit your request for a VET Student Loan via the online eCAF system prior to the census date. Refer to VET Student Loans Student Entry Procedure for eligibility to access VET Student Loans. You must read the VET Student Loans Information Booklet  prior to applying for a VET Student Loan and be aware of your obligations.
  • If you do not complete your Request for Commonwealth Assistance for access to a HELP Loan prior to the census dates you will have to wait until the next part of the course to request for a HELP Loan.
  • Census dates will apply to each subject/unit in which you enrol. A census date is the last day by which you may withdraw from the subject/unit without incurring a debt. Read more about census dates. 
  • If you have been granted access to VET Student Loans to assist you to pay your tuition fees for the course or part/s of the course in which you are enrolled, from the 1 July 2017 you will be required to confirm your engagement for study. The Commonwealth Government will contact you to seek your confirmation of engagement in study. Your confirmation will enable you to continue to access VET Student Loans up to the capped loan amount for the approved course in which you are enrolled.
  • If you withdraw from a course or part/s of a course on or before the census date you will not incur a HELP Loan debt.
  • You may be eligible for a re-credit of your HELP Loan amount if you withdraw from your course or part/s of the course after the Census Date if you had experienced special circumstances. Find out more about refunds or re-credit of HELP Loans.
  • Information on HELP Loans, Loans Fees, Loan limits and Loan balances are available to you on the Australian Government's Study Assist website.

3. You also have the right to access educational and support services for the duration of your study at Holmesglen. Find out more about Student Services.

These services include:
  • Counselling and Welfare
  • Careers and Vocational Counselling
  • Disability Support
  • Student Health
  • Student Employment
  • Student Accommodation
  • Recreation and Activities
  • Learning Skills Centre
  • Indigenous Education

As a student at Holmesglen you have an obligation to take reasonable care for your health and safety and that of others. You may seek assistance on any matters while studying at Holmesglen and, if you have any concerns regarding your well-being or safety or that of others you must report this to your teacher/trainer, Student Services or to the Security Office on campus.

4. You will have access to electronic resources and e-books, study skills and guides. Find out more about the library services available.

5. Studying off-campus

When enrolling into a course for study off campus, you should ensure that you have access to the required resources and equipment that will assist you to successfully complete the course.  View the range of online services here.

6. Placement activities

Placement activities include workplace based learning, internships, clinical placements, work experience or field work that form part of the course requirements. The purpose of these activities are to provide you with relevant work experiences within the industry. Prior to commencing such activities you must sign an agreement with Holmesglen and the workplace employer. You will be made aware of your obligations prior to undertaking such activities. The Placement Agreement may be terminated at any time if these obligations are not met.

7. You may be requested to provide your written permission for the use of your materials or images in which you are referenced or appear. Such materials or images maybe used in promotions and publications for Holmesglen educational activities. Your written permission will be held at Holmesglen.

8. As a student at Holmesglen, you may undertake study in a course that is delivered on behalf of Holmesglen by a third party. You will be made aware of such arrangements during the admissions and registration for enrolment processes. You will also be provided with information relating to any changes of this arrangement. In the event that the third party is unable to fulfil this commitment, Holmesglen will honour your enrolment as a Holmesglen student for completion of study for the relevant course.

9. As an enrolled student you may be requested to participate in the National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER) survey and/or receive an invitation to participate in a Department endorsed project/annual student outcome survey. You may also be contacted by the Department (or persons authorised by the Department) for audit or review or investigations purposes.

All information is correct at the time of printing but subject to change.

Copyright © 2019 Holmesglen CRICOS Provider Code: 00012G RTO-0416 ABN: 40 096 756 729