Information privacy principles
For the purposes of clause 23 of Schedule 1A of the Higher Education Support Act 2003 (Cth.), Holmesglen staff comply with the Australian Privacy Principles set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth.). When handling personal information obtained for the purposes of VET Student Loans administration, Holmesglen staff will:
- Only collect information that is necessary or directly related to its functions and activities as a VET provider.
- Inform you of the purpose for which we are collecting information. We are required to collect particular information by law, who we usually disclose personal information to.
- Make sure the information we collect is relevant to the purpose for collection and that we do not unreasonably intrude into your personal affairs.
- Protect the security of your personal information against loss, unauthorised access, use, modification or disclosure, and any other misuse.
- Give you access to your personal information and make sure any corrections, deletions or additions you request are implemented. If we are unable to amend your records as requested as they are found to be accurate, we will attach to your record any statement you provide about the correction, deletion or addition you want to make.
- Endeavour to make sure that records are accurate, up-to-date, complete and not misleading.
- Check the accuracy and completeness of your personal information before use.
- Only use your personal information for relevant purposes and the purpose for which it was collected unless:
- you have consented for it to be used for another purpose
- Holmesglen believes that it is necessary to use your personal information to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to a person's life or health and we are required or authorised under law to use it for another purpose
- it is necessary to use your personal information to enforce the criminal law, or a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or to protect public revenue. In this case, we will include a note in your records that we have used your personal information for this purpose.
- Not disclose your personal information to another person, body or agency unless:
- you have been made aware that we usually pass your information to that person, body or agency you have consented to the disclosure
- Holmesglen believes that it is necessary to disclose your personal information to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to a person's life or health and we are required or authorised under law to disclose it
- it is necessary to disclose your personal information to enforce the criminal law, or a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or to protect public revenue. In this case, we will include a note in your records that we have disclosed your personal information for this purpose.
Holmesglen maintains a register that is available for inspection by members of the public and that sets out:
- the nature of the records containing VET personal information
- the purpose for which each type of record is kept
- who each type of record concerns
- how long each type of record is kept for
- who is entitled to access each type of record and the conditions under
- which they are entitled to have that access
- the steps a person should take to obtain access to that information.
Statutory collection and disclosure requirements
Holmesglen is required to collect and disclose personal information in relation to students who are eligible for VET Student Loans to meet our obligations under the VET Student Loans Act 2016 and VET Student Loans Rules 2016. These are:
- Department of Education and Training – statistical information about student demographics and completions and personal details of students accessing VET Student Loans.
- Australian Taxation Office – Department of Education and Training reports to Tax Office certain personal details (Tax File Numbers, addresses etc) of students with a HELP debt. The Tax Office may also contact Holmesglen directly requesting personal information if a student's HELP debt needs adjusting.
- TAFE Directors Australia (VET Tuition Scheme Assurance Operator) – if Holmesglen ceases to provide a VET course of study, it will give access to your personal details to the VET tuition assurance scheme operator.
Gaining access to your personal information
Students may gain access to and make amendments to their personal details at any time through the Student eAdministration service on the Holmesglen website (go to www.holmesglen.edu.au – Current Students – Update your personal details).
You may request a copy of your personal information held by Holmesglen by writing to the Registrar, Holmesglen, PO Box 42, Holmesglen, Victoria, 3148. You must include in your request:
- your student ID number
- what personal information you wish to receive a copy of
- the academic period/s (eg the year/s) to which your request relates.
There is no charge to receive a copy of your personal information.
If you believe Holmesglen staff have breached the policies and procedures set out above, you should first discuss your concerns with the manager of the area in which you lodged the information initially. Generally this will mean that issues arising within a teaching department should be discussed with the Manager of the Teaching area and issues arising within student administration and records should be directed to the Registrar. You are welcome to discuss your concerns with a staff member from Student Services, if you don't feel comfortable approaching the manager concerned.
If a satisfactory resolution cannot be reached, the alleged breach should be submitted in writing to the Deputy Privacy Officer, PO Box 42, Holmesglen, Victoria, 3148. Your complaint will be handled in accordance with the Complaints and Appeals procedure.