What careers are available with a nursing course?
Nursing is a rewarding and at times challenging profession, which plays a very important role in our community.
You might think that there is only one type of nurse – the kind you see in your local hospital. However, a nursing career is in fact much broader and can present you with many exciting job paths. From paediatric to radiology nursing and mental health to research nursing, there are a variety of roles for you to explore.
We offer a HLT54121 Diploma of Nursing (a Free TAFE course, and now also offered at our Bourke Street campus) and a BNURS13 Bachelor of Nursing. So, let’s look at some of the nursing careers available to you, and how a Holmesglen nursing course can help.
Want to help our younger generation?
- You will support infants, children and young adults
- You will handle everything from immunisations to the treatment of symptoms
- A school nurse may work in public or private schools, or even become a travelling nurse
Want to make a positive difference on an important societal issue?
Drug and alcohol and mental health nurses
- You will deal with patients who are suffering from various psychiatric illnesses or addiction and help with their recovery plans
- Career settings include working in hospitals to outpatient clinics and specialised clinics
- There are related nursing options that may also include community or rehabilitation nursing
Prefer a research or technical setting?
Research nurses, radiology nurses, nursing educators and theatre nurses
- You will work with specialised and procedural roles
- These nurses can provide education about procedures
- Research nurses can assist with clinical trials, while radiology nurses help patients are receiving diagnostic or therapeutic radiology imaging
Other nursing career options for you
- Aged care nursing
- Defence Force nursing
- Emergency nursing
- Home Health nursing
- Oncology nursing
- Palliative care nursing
- Rural/remote nursing
- School nursing
How can Holmesglen help with your nursing career?
Our philosophy is to ensure you are job ready at the end of your course. This is achieved through:
- On-campus training
- Simulation activities
- Supported clinical placement
This is just a snapshot of what is available to you and which nursing career pathway you can follow. To find out more, visit our nursing courses page.